United Palace House of Inspiration, Washington Heights, Manhattan. The building opened in 1930 as the Loew’s 175th Street Theatre. When the movie palace closed in 1969, it was purchased by a televangelist to house his church. That church, now called the United Palace House of Inspiration, continues to use the building, though it now also serves as a community center and performing arts space. A number of movies and television shows have filmed scenes here.
The original auditorium, which seats around 3,400, now serves as a sanctuary on Sundays and regularly hosts community and cultural events.
In 2007 a writer at The New York Times described the United Palace’s architectural style as “Byzantine-Romanesque-Indo-Hindu-Sino-Moorish-Persian-Eclectic-Rococo-Deco”. Close enough.
The upper portion and ceiling of the main lobby.
Washington Heights, Manhattan
Opened: 12 February 1930 as a movie theater
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb